Tomato Basil Soup
Published on Friday, 09 October 2015 10:49
Please join Four Graces at lululemon athletica Classen Curve Saturdays this month for FREE community mat classes. 9 am, we'll see you there!
- 2 1/4 lbs Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 lbs Cherry tomatoes
- 4 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 small yellow onions, sliced just under 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups (32g) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 - 5 cups vegetable broth
- Grilled cheese croutons (optional), see notes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 3 Tbsp olive oil then season with salt and pepper (place Roma halves cut side upright). Place onion slices and garlic on a rimmed half sheet and toss brush with remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil on all sides, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place baking sheet with tomatoes and half sheet with onions in oven side by side and roast onions 30 - 35 minutes until edges are golden, and tomatoes 40 - 45 minutes until golden. Peel away any burnt papery layers of onions if there are any. Pull peels from tomatoes (I didn't do this with mine but later wished I would have so I'd recommend it so the soup isn't loaded with peels. If you want some peel then I'd peel at least half). Pour onions and tomatoes into a large pot. Add 4 cups vegetable broth and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, adding an additional 1 cup vegetable broth to thin as desired. Blend soup with an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender (only fill blender half full). Serve warm topped with grilled cheese croutons if desired.